- Learn to enjoy the process of incremental improvement. The journey is the thing.
- Firewall practice time. Don't let it get derailed by other activities of a non-life threatening nature.
- Get more sleep.
- No drinking before practice.
- Eat real food, you'll feel better. Feeling better makes everything easier, including piano practice.
- Organise your mind, materials, and activities before you start to practice.
- Feedback is crucial, so... Try recording yourself and listening back.
- Listening to great music will help all aspects of learning. There is a saying in music that everyone wants to play what they hear in their heads. And, alas, students do. You can fill your mind with the memory of great performances, this will help you hear your own efforts with a better perspective.
- Sweat the small stuff: technique, sight reading, ear training, theory and history.
- Remember, for most of us we do this for fun.
- Bonus: Head for the gym. The life benefits are undeniable.