What a fun day for 12 young musicians, ages 7 to 13, in Niagara Falls Ontario. At the studio of Alessandra Dicienzo we learned how to play in a band. Using iPhones, iPads, Keyboards, Pianos, Cajon, Alesis Drum Pad, Drum set, and shakers we rocked up a storm.
We started by learning a Rock-a-billy version of Abigail’s Boogie for multiple keyboards and finished up with a rousing reading of Katy Perry’s Part of Me. Then we performed the 2 pieces for family, all in three short hours.
- They learned that playing in a band is difficult, fun, and awesome.
- They learned why teachers recommend using a metronome in practice.
- They learned to listen to each other and play together.
- They have a better understanding of use of dynamics and articulations.
- They want to do it again.
I was really impressed at the intensity of the effort and the wonderful music that resulted.
Thank you kids.