Let me address the issue.
- Musicians love to practice
- Musicians are self-directed
- Musicians are curious
- Students love the idea of playing
- Students are looking for guidance
- Students are too often too obedient, curiosity is not obedient
If you are having some difficulties finding "time" or motivation to practice, I've some suggestions.
- Go to a piano concert. Classical, Jazz, Pop, it doesn't matter. A quick story. A parent took her daughter to a piano Pops concert this past week in Mississauga. The girl came home and ran to the piano. Her piece, "Turkish Bazaar" never sounded better.
- Read books on how to practice. Google:, "Deliberate Practice".
- Seek out a duet partner who plays close to your level. Have some fun.
- Record yourself practicing, it will be enlightening. You will hear the good and the bad. You will then know what needs fixing.
- Practice slow.
- Practice a small chunk to done.
- Go easy on yourself.
- Check out drummer Benny Greb talk about learning to practice. It's both funny and helpful.