Here are some achievable goals from my students.
- Play some tunes and have fun: weeks
- Sit for my grade one piano exam: 2 years
- Jam with my friends once a week, I have a classical background: a few months you'll be able to join in on a few tunes. Then you build your skills over the next few years.
- Prepare for a university audition, I already play. Depends on the uni: 1-2-3 years of concentrated effort.
- My goal as a drum student was to jam in Toronto with professionals and advanced university level jazz students. It took 8 years from a standing start of purchasing drum sticks to what I enjoy doing weekly now. Video below.