1. Listen attentively to music. A lot. Ask yourself, "what is going on here?"
2. Listen to a particular solo or piece of a solo until you can sing it. Then find it on your instrument.
3. Sing intervals.
4. Sing broken chords
5. Sing the bass roots of your pieces in time and on pitch.
6. Listen to more music.
7. Record yourself, listen back.
8. Record yourself playing scales with the metronome. Listen back.
9. Record your next band practice, listen back.
10. Sing everything you learn in your theory studies.
You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail.
I'm a professional pianist and music educator in West Toronto Ontario. I'm also a devoted student and teacher of the drums.