But first a story.
I'm 13 years old, a self taught guitarist. Full of confidence I head off to music camp in Kirkland Lake Ontario in the summer of 1972. Oh boy! The instructor Harry Forbes, was kind and tolerant. Good thing, I sucked.
One day I spotted a strange looking keyboard in the corner of the room. I asked, "what is that Harry?"
"It's a ARP2600 Synthesizer".
"What does it do?"
"It does this"
"Holy *D*D(#KD+!" I was hooked. I've never looked back.
So why create your own music?
1. Personal expression.
2. Participate in the sound of our time.
3. Keep the "play" in playing music alive.
4. Creative exploration and discovery.
5. Learn some new instruments.
6. Join an online community of music makers.
7. Become a rich and famous DJ
Electronic music has some of it's own terms.
DAW Score paper
How to get started.
The cheapest way is to explore apps on your phone like garage band. This can be expanded with the addition of a specialized keyboard attached to your phone. $100+
I can help you get started, call me.