Here are my thoughts for acquiring jazz chops.
1. Learn and memorize tunes by ear.
2. Join a band and play as much as possible.
3. Transcribe like crazy.
4. Record everything you do.
5. Learn more tunes.
6. Technique with a metronome. Various tempi.
7. Play Bach, Debussy and Faure.
8. Keep up your lessons.
9. Join a second band that plays only original music.
10. Write some original music.
Bonus. Read and explore the history of jazz prior to school.
If I can help you call me.
You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail.
I'm a professional pianist and music educator in West Toronto Ontario. I'm also a devoted student and teacher of the drums.