- Do it for yourself.
- Trust the process of focused practice and a steady pace. It's a marathon not a sprint.
- Read books on the science of improvement and learning.
- Remember that Babe Ruth was also the strike out king of his time. That guy swung at everything.
- Be present when warming up, practicing technique, working on theory, listening to music, attending lessons and concerts.
- Think in decades, not years or months, or worse weeks. I'm a decade in on the drums, it changed my life. I'm enthusiastically embracing the next decade with the idea that if I stick to the plan, incremental improvements will continue. I'm forty five years in on the piano. My plan this decade? Return to lessons. So I have. What a revelation and transformation in my thoughts, perspective, and abilities.