1. It is claimed that structured music study, with appropriate celebrations of milestone achievements, leads to solid musicianship and a love of lifelong learning.
2. Students work harder when the score is being kept. Score keeping is a good motivator in achievement and success.
3. It is a clear demonstration to college recruiters you can complete a multi-year project.
4. Structured music study builds solid musical foundations through developing the various strands that build musical confidence in a performer and an audience's joy and appreciation.
· Repertoire Finished pieces that sparkle
· Technical skill The tools to get the job done
· Sight reading Facilitates quicker learning
· Ear Training We can’t play what we can’t hear. Aids memorization
· Theory Aids memorization and facilitates quicker learning through understanding.
Here is the research. Judge for yourself.
A personal note: I completed my Grade 10 at 45 and Associate at 47. It changed my life!