1. Firewall practice time: even just little here and there. Put it in the schedule. Let others know about it. Make it a promise to yourself.
2. Twice a week I practice with others. This is an example of accountability. We work things out together. For piano students you might look for a duet partner.
3. Attend live concerts regularly. The well of inspiration needs refilling on a regular schedule or it will run dry.
4. Fall in love with the process of learning. Savor the work, savor the minutiae of building your skills.
5. Be patient with yourself.