I’ve not attended a conference in a while. I’m excited to take in five days of live jazz and workshops on the fine art of teaching jazz. And meeting up with old friends from jazz camp and college. Starting with Rufus Reid and Bobby Shew.
Some of the workshops include:
- A Fear-free Approach to Improvisation for the Classically-trained Musician™, Jamie Baum-Clinician
- Samba Infusion: Afro-Brazilian Roots and Contemporary Trends in Brazilian Styles for the Rhythm Section, Natalie Boeyink/Andy Smith/Jamaal Baptiste-Clinicians
- Rhythm Meter Workshop, Joshua Davis-Clinician
- Drum set Etudes - Musical Practicing Tools. Henrique De Almeida-Clinician
- Gospel Music, Jazz, and Blues: Strange Bedfellows, Cedric Dent-Clinician
- A Single Point of Reference: New Methodologies for Modern Jazz Styles, Richard Frank/Tony White-Clinicians
- Latin Jazz with a Dominican Tinge, Socrates Garcia-Clinician
- Jazz for Young People, Sharon Burch-clinician
I’m rooming with my former Berklee mentor and inspiration Andy Jaffe. Where did the last forty years go?
It will be exciting sharing what I’ve learned with my students when I get back.