1. Play a tune from your repertoire-5 minutes
2. Review your jazz scales, chords, and arpeggios-15 minutes
3. Sight-read from the fake books-10 minutes
4. Free Improvisation (jam on a chord, a scale, or just play free)-5 minutes
5. Now it is transcription time (listen and imitate)-15 minutes
6. Special disciplines (pick one)-10 minutes
- rootless voicings
- comping with play-along software or CDs
- quartal voicings
- style studies: Be-Bop, Classic Jazz, Ragtime, Blues, or Bossa nova/ Samba studies
- lesson material
7. Finish up learning a new tune/15 minutes
I hope you find this helpful. Have Fun.
You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail.
I'm a professional pianist and music educator in West Toronto Ontario. I'm also a devoted percussionist and drum teacher.