Why take a piano exam?
1. It is claimed that structured music study, with appropriate celebrations of milestone achievements, leads to solid musicianship and a love of lifelong learning.
2. Students work harder when the score is being kept. Score keeping is a good motivator in achievement and success.
3. It is a clear demonstration to college recruiters you can complete a multi-year project.
4. Structured music study builds solid musical foundations through developing the various strands that build musical confidence in a performer and an audience's joy and appreciation.
· Repertoire Finished pieces that sparkle
· Technical skill The tools to get the job done
· Sight reading Facilitates quicker learning
· Ear Training We can’t play what we can’t hear. Aids memorization
· Theory Aids memorization and facilitates quicker learning through understanding.
Here is the research. Judge for yourself.
A personal note: I completed my Grade 10 at 45 and Associate at 47. It changed my life!
You've got to learn your instrument. Then, you practice, practice, practice. And then, when you finally get up there on the bandstand, forget all that and just wail.
I'm a professional pianist and music educator in West Toronto Ontario. I'm also a devoted percussionist and drum teacher.